Monday, April 7, 2014

Gearing Up For The Readathon

I'm getting ready for Dewey's 24 hour read a thon on April 26th.

This is my seventh read a thon. Why do I keep participating?

1. It's a lot of fun.

2. I love spending the whole day reading.

3. It's a great way to knock out a bunch of books.

4. Hundreds of other people reading at the same time all over the world. How cool is that?

What are my tips for making the read a thon successful for me?

1. Have realistic expectations. I know I won't finish more than 2 novels (about 300-400 pages each). Set smaller goals.

2. Read novellas and graphic novels. It feels great to finish books. Unless you have a few books already started on read a thon day, your book count will be lower. That's why I love graphic novels. I can read 10 easy.

3. Make time to participate. Be active on twitter, participate in the challenges, visit other bloggers. Read a thon is about reading and celebrating the book blogging community.

4. Plan your food in advance. Have snacks ready, plan on takeout, give someone else the meal planning responsibilities for the day. My family knows it's the read a thon. I plan on throwing some food in the crockpot and making snacks the day before.

5. Don't stress. It's suppose to be fun. So what if you spend 2 hours visiting blogs and chatting on twitter? So what if you only finish half a book? So what if you take a nap and wake up 4 hours later? No worries!

Will you be joining in on the fun on April 26th? I'll be posting my progress here and on twitter (@sillylittle). I'll have another post about all the graphic novels I'm planning on reading.

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! Thanks so much for joining us! --Andi, Readathon Host

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.