Monday, May 11, 2015

Picking Bones From Ash by Marie Mutsuki Mockett

I don't remember how I heard about Picking Bones From Ash but I'm so glad I did. It was the perfect blend of historical fiction and magical realism. I look forward to reading more by Marie Mutsuki Mockett.

Picking Bones From Ash is about Satomi and her daughter, Rumi. The story starts when Satomi is a child and ends when Rumi is an adult. It also weaves from Japan to Paris to San Fransico and back to Japan. The story alternates between Rumi and Satomi. Mockett does an amazing job of creating characters that jumped off the page. Understanding what I do of Japanese culture only enhanced this book for me. When I'm looking about books set in Japan, this will be my bar. I loved how real the story was and how Mockett didn't pull any punches. I loved the complicated story between mothers and daughters and women and their lovers.

I loved Picking Bones From Ash. I will be looking for more of Mockett's work. Others who shared their thoughts on Picking Bones From Ash: Devourer of Books, Literate Housewife, and My Books. My Life., and Gender Across Borders.

1 comment:

  1. I can really only think of one or two books I've read about Japan, but I've loved each one. It's definitely a place I want to read more about and think this one might be a good one to go with! Thanks for introducing it to me!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.